RE: Advice

To: "PAUL R SHEAHAN" <sunbeamtiger@Prodigy.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Advice
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 16:05:58 -0700
Paul,

You will probably hear many plausible scenarios that could cause your
symptoms. Any of them could be the culprit. I will add to the list my
experience with symptoms very similar to yours. After pulling most of what
is left of my hair out, I finally in a fit of desperation bought a new spark
coil and - viola!! - problem solved. Apparently, as the coil heated up a
short developed that made it run very poorly. Another associated symptom was
that I had to set the spark very far advanced to get it to run decent. The
problem just slowly got worse over time until it couldn't be ignored. I
replaced my coil with a 12V one for a BMW (no ballast). I think anyone, with
or without electronic ignition would be better off with a 12V instead of a
9V (American) coil and ballast. The 12V unit lets you get just that much
more energy in the spark. I'll gladly trade this for possibly better
starting - never had a problem with that in sunny San Diego.

Good luck tracking down your problem. These things are sent to try our
dedication.

Bob