Block (head) I.D. found

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Block (head) I.D. found
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:39:32 -0700
Well there's a reason I'm not a millionaire. ---- When the previous owner
told me the car had a HiPo 289 he said "at least that's what I was told." He
was not really a car guy and paper work going back 2 or 3 owners (and about
20 years) before him showed a receipt to a HiPo 289 so how was he to know.
I lifted (notice I didn't say removed, the generator bracket is in the way)
the valve cover and there was no machined cup under the valve spring. So a
stock 289 4 bbl. is what 225 HP? I am aware of how they rated HP back then,
but that is still 60 comparative HP over the stock 260 2 bbl. The cam
doesn't seem stock and who in their right mind would use a Holley 650 double
pumper with mechanical secondaries on a stock cammed 289. Well maybe you
better not answer that, it is probably the same kind of guy who would pass
it off as a HiPo 289! Oh well, it runs. And what I could see looked rather
clean inside. My pound of curiosity is quelled ever if it is with an ounce
of disappointment. Tom Witt B9470101