Re: more info on hard hot starting problem

To: "G Shaw" <emmakita@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: more info on hard hot starting problem
From: "Dan" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:23:39 -0600
Hi Greg,

    Have you checked your fuel filters? Just a thought.
You have a clear one under the access panel just before the
fuel pump and another filter under the bonnet in the engine compartment.

    Could also be your choke needs adjustments. If I remember correctly,
your car has the heat tube coming from the headers up to the right side of
the carb.
I had to replace the entire carb choke assembly with a replacement due
to a factory defect in the original. I think the replacement had an electric
assist to it.
(only one in stock at the time so I took it) But I do not remember how this
was set up.
If my memory holds up, there were two spade terminals on the side of the
choke spring cover.
One connected to ground and the other to a power source. This set up could
be causing
some problems with the choke operating properly. The carb did not come with
the
electric choke originaly. You may want to find an original non-electric
cover and spring and
replace the electric with the original style.

    One thing you might also check is to listen for a girgling sound when
you shut off the engine.
Although the engine might not be overheating, the temp will rise as soon as
the engine is shut off.
Could be that the fuel in your bowl is boiling out into the carb throat
leaving the bowl dry and flooding the engine (i.e..- could be getting the
plugs wet).

    I don't think you can place a spacer under the carb due to clearance
with the bonnet. Maybe Steve or someone on the list has a suggestion.

Dan