Re: flipping a tiger

To: "RICHARD TUTTLE JR." <SAMORRY@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: flipping a tiger
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:34:12 -0400
Richard,

Assuming you intend, and are able, to remove as much of the weight, such
as the engine, rad, hood etc, as is practical, prior to rotating your
Tiger, I suggest the following, based on personal experience. Ideally,
you are dealing with a basic car shell.

Go to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or similar store, and pick up
a couple of good thick used matresses. They should be quite inexpensive.
Position them end to end beside your vehicle, and lift and roll the car
onto its side on the matresses. Hold the car in the desired position
with suitably positioned props. As long as the whole side of the car is
taking the weight, there will be no damage, and you have excellent
access to the bottom of the car.

I restored a Tiger in 1981 right down to the last nut and bolt, and used
this method, based on someone else's advice, to repair/refurbish the
underside. I also had the running gear off the car when I did it. There
was no sign of any damage, and working at this height was easy.

Hope this helps. Obviously works for Alpines as well.

John Slade
Manotick, ON