Re: Introduction, new to list

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Introduction, new to list
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:51:32 -0700
Erich,

Hopefully you are aware of http://www.TigersUnited.com for lot's of good
Tiger info.

To answer you specifically, one of our Tiger friends has had to put an
AT in his 351 CID Tiger, with the firewall already moved back, due to
leg and back issues.

It was quite a job getting the transmission in, as it is MUCH wider, and
he couldn't even get the later, more gears, version anywhere close.

He said there were LOT's of Tunnel and floorboard cutting required.

Contact  James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com> for more details.

Most of the Ford Top Loader parts are available. Some that may be Tiger
specific are the hydraulic clutch slave system, including the 5 or 6
bolt (Tiger Mk II) bracket.  A 6 bolt bracket is made, and sold to
members by CAT. The new Lucas (ex-Girling) hydraulics are also
available., but they have been "homogulated" for replacement, and the
supplied input shaft is too long at the shortest setting. You need to
replace it with the original.

The 5 and 6 bolt bell housings are cast by Ford, in England, but they
are exact duplicates of those that were used in the US in the period, so
you would just be missing the  "Made in England" casting mark.

The Shifter mechanism is all Ford, but some of the lever lengths and
knobs are different.  I strongly recommend a wide ratio gear version
with a stock 2.88 rear end. Details in TigersUnited.com. Others like
different ratios and T-5's. Everything is a trade. What you are willing
to give up for what you must have. Individual choices, but again, 5
speeds require a LOT of mods. Detailed pictures upcoming in Larry
Paulick's in-work article.

Haven't covered all the bases yet. You are going to have to go to one of
the sheet metal sources to reconstruct the original floor pan /
transmission hump, or us a five speed in that big hole.

Good Luck, and hope that helps, some.

I may, in my rush to get you answered, have made a few errors of
omission, or commission. Not to worry, we have a lot of experts out
there who are quite capable of covering my shortcomings.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/