Re: Gas Tank Removal

To: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Removal
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:46:03 -0400
At 06:54 PM 7/3/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I haven't yet gotten to the point of determining the cause of my stalling
>Tiger but, if it turns out to be the gas tank paint flaking problem, I want to
>be prepared for removing and servicing the tanks.   I've checked the list
>archive and the workshop manual, but I haven't found anything that details the
>procedure for removal/replacement of the tanks.  I'm not even sure if they are
>removed through the trunk or from underneath.  Also, when I do remove them,
>should I look at replacing all of the gaskets and hoses?  Any info, advice,
>cautions, etc., would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>Shaun

Shaun,
        Tanks are removed from inside trunk.  Remove cardboard trim panels
on each side as well as across the lower back of the interior of the trunk.
Remove the lower trunk latch assembly/bracket. Remove the vent hose from the
pipes at the top of the tanks.  Do not pull the old hose completely out.  It
can be
used as a "pull string" when replacing the vent hose. Disconnect the fuel line
fitting (5/8" brass compression nut) at the underside of the trunk, centered
and to the rear of the Tiger. Drain all fuel. Remove two bolts from under the
trunk that holds the cross over pipe. Loosen 8 hose clamps that clamp the
rubber hoses that join the 3 piece cross over pipe. Remove two bolts from
the inner rear fenderwells that hold the tanks in.  Remove a couple of more
bolts
from the brackets inside the trunk that also hold the tanks.  Loosen the
hose clamp at the rubber elbow of the fuel filler. Remove the fuel sender
wires (slip on terminals).  Now everything should come out.  The cross
over pipes are 3 piece and 4 hoses and must be dissambled to remove.
        Suggest you check out the Tiger United web site of Steve Lathem.
I show how I installed a Fuel Safe custom fuel cell in my Tiger.  It is
approved for FIA, NHRA, Dirt etc racing.  I had similar problems with
paint flakes stopping my Tiger.  No problem now.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others