Re: Pumps

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Pumps
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 20:46:22 -0400
At 07:21 AM 7/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Now that I'm a few hours on from my fuel pump disaster, any ideas on a
>good replacement pump for the SU?
>
>Steve Sage

Steve,
        I use a Holly Red pump #12-801.  Cost about $80.  Legal in
California only for pre 1986 cars. i.e. any Tiger.  Makes a LOUD noise
all the time when pumping.  Supplies my 351C 4 barrel  650 double
pumper Holly carb with no problem.  Most any Hot Rod shop has
them for sale.  If you have a clogged fuel tank and run the pump
dry for a long time the pump can fail.  Need to have pump mounted
low so it always gets fuel. Mounting in the spare tire well is fine.
I also put a fuel filter between the tank and the pump to keep
crap out of the pump. The pump is a rotary vane pump driven by a DC motor.
The pumping part makes very little noise; however, the built in
fuel pressure regulator is a spring loaded steel piston that slams
back and forth making the terrible noise.  By the way I replaced my
5/16" fuel line with 3/8" steel line.  All the fuel hoses are the
SS braided aeroquip type.  These lines are for my safty and are
not normally needed to connect up the pump.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others