RE: Rocker panels (and more rocker?'s)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rocker panels (and more rocker?'s)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:14:51 -0700
Excellent question Brent. I am at that exact point also. Last year at the
CAT swapmeet I got two rockers, two rear lower front fender panels and two
front lower rear quarter panels (I hope those terms don't confuse you just
think of all the lower panels between the two wheels on each side). These
looked like they had been screwed on in places and welded on in others then
removed. They are for the square door, but I was going to do what I could.
The panels all look correct except the rockers. From the top down they
strangely go straight for about 1-1/2" and then start the slow curve (this
results in a shallow, but still noticable crease). Also, the original panel
when viewed from the bottom does not go straight, but angles in somewhat and
then back out about 2/3rds of the way to the front. The ones I have go
straight. I only paid $40 for the whole set so even if I can't (or at least
shouldn't ) used the rockers I think I still made out ok.
However, I am still debating whether to pull the driver side rocker. There
is rust, but not in the exreme destructive sense. I think if I spend some
time running a wire brush through (currently I have access to all the rocker
internals through the front and rear wheel wells) and used that can and
nozzle think I wrote you about before to spray in POR-15 I won't have to
pull that rocker. The delema then for me is I then need to find a rocker
that will match the original.
  It's that rock and a hard place thing. I use the unusual panels which is
both cheap and they match, but at the labor of doing both sides and a not so
stock look, or I hunt up a correct panel and hope the other side still has
enough metal to justify the Laperscopic like surgery to dink out the rust
with the wire brush and POR-15 application. Keep me posted as I have great
interest in your outcome. Please feel free to comment anyone, I would really
appreciate any advise. Tom Witt (a man of limited mig welding skills)
B9470101