Re: Rocker panels (and more rocker?'s)

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker panels (and more rocker?'s)
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:43:23 -0700
Tom, Brent, et al,
     I'd be careful about doing a bandaid job on the rockers.  A three layer
construction, the outer layer is the visible rocker and the inner layer is the
(mostly) visible vertical piece that both front and rear floors weld to
laterally (also visible under the car where it meets the outer rocker at
bottom edge.  But sandwiched in between them is the middle rocker piece which
is far and away the most structural of the bunch (and not visible).  This
triplicate sandwich can be seen end on from the top (stripped of trim and
rugs) or the bottom if you look closely.  In addition to being gauge(s)
thicker, the middle piece also has a double bend near the bottom that neatly
offsets it (making up for it's lack of curvature) to mate with the other two
pieces at the lower edge as well as providing much more rigidity.  Cross
section, like so...

   I___

(I'm sure that sketch will never survive browser translation)

     It can be seen through front or rear wheel well access, but that access
has often been provided by rot.  The rot begins when the car is driven off the
dock in 64 to67 and the sealer between the inner and outer fender in the wheel
well immediately falls off.  This allows centripetally flung water from the
wheel to force feed into the rocker behind the fenders for a few years (known
as Cornwallis' revenge).  The ultimate effect is that you see the usual rust
breakthrough in the three places that Tom specified.  However, the middle
rocker piece is equally exposed to this chemical Mardi Gras.  But since it's
thicker, when the outer rocker has broken through, the middle piece may not
be.  This is not to say it is not necessarily weakened or compromised and that
may not be evident from one of the wheel wells unless real care is taken in
inspection (all the grit cleaned out, alot of light, good mirrors on long
poles).  It would be a shame to do one rocker and preserve the other outer,
paint the car, then a year later meet Lord Oxide again.  Or even worse, have
the doors start pinching as the car sags.  My favorite phrase with a
Tiger....do your homework now !

                           Chris Hill

Chris Hill