Re: oil filter hoses

To: "TM" <strombecker@home.com>
Subject: Re: oil filter hoses
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:02:22 -0400
At 01:53 PM 7/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Any body know where a person can get some hoses for the remote filter on a
>tiger.
>
>Terry
>B9471362
>strombecker@home.com

Terry,
        If you are not a concours person simply check your yellow
pages for "hydralic hoses" and go down there and buy a 1/2" id
hydralic hose.  Many are rated for 400 PSI which far exceeds
any oil pressure.  Take your old hose with fittings and remove
the outer steel clamping shell by using a cut off wheel.
Discard the cut up clamping shell.
Clean the old fittings, cut the new hoses to length, insert the old
fittings and secure with two medium small aero style clamps
on each end.  Cheap and works like a charm.  Take care when
handling the cut end of the new hoses as normally there is
wire re-enforcement that can make you bleed a bit.
        You may also find that the hydralic hose place
has fittings that will work.  In that case you could let them
make up the hoses, complete with the clamping shell.

        The last time I replaced my hoses I asked for 400 psi
and when I got home, I noticed that the parts guy had given
me 4000 psi hose.  It was very stiff and I had a hell of a time
getting the fittings into the hose ( the 12 layers of steel
braid did not want to expand at all).  Finally got the fittings
in by lubercating with blood and WD-40.  I do not think that my 65
psi oil pressure will be problem.  The hose is also rated
as fire proof.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others