Re: Rear axle cover gasket

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <RGGAMMA@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle cover gasket
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:54:14 -0700
Gunny,
 Here is some info I got off the list about a year ago (below). I do not
know if the "similar" aspects of the gears apply to the the case as well. I
was able to get my gasket from Sunbeam Specialties.
Info:
"Dana 44 refers to the gear set design. The Jag rear ends were made by
Salisbury
and used Dana 44 gears. They are independent suspension rear ends. I believe
that the first Jag Dana 44 axle was in the 1961 XKE, although it might have
been
used in the XK-150. They continued to use that gear set exclusively until
the
mid eighties. The same gear set is used in many American cars including,
Ford
trucks, chevy, and Chrysler trucks as well as 65-75 Jeep C and 67-83 Jeep
Wagoneer."
All the best in your hunt. Tom Witt B9470101