Grant me this--

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Grant me this--
From: "Larry Wright" <LWright@impactofficepro.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:15:11 -0400
        Stu Brennan wrote:
>I saw a really impressive looking Grant wood
>wheel at a local auto parts place, and I think that
>someone on this list (Larry Wright?) discovered
>that they do have an adapter to fit Sunbeams.

        While I am running a Grant wheel, one of the Signature Series in
mahogany, on the Garage Queen, I've never seen a hub kit from Grant for
our cars. I think the telescoping feature spooked them. Perhaps one for
a Plymouth Cricket might work, or at least have the correct splines, I
dunno.

        What I ended up doing was making my own adapter out of an old
Alpine wheel. I hacked away the plastic and the spokes, and much of the
"cup" inside that the splined center is attached to, until I had a flat
surface I could bolt a Grant wheel to (actually a casting that the wheel
bolts to) . So far, so good. This has also allowed me to use a stock
Sunbeam wheel center knob, the one for the telescoping feature with the
padded center, so it looks a wee bit more like it belongs in the car.

        I have to admit, driving in hot-n-humid Wahington weather with a
slick wood steering wheel does not give me confidance, and once around
the block in Larry Paulick's car has me thinking about a leather or
vinyl wheel -- a Grant of course, nothing wrong with other brands but
I've had good luck with them over the years -- even though it would not
look as 'period' in the car. I have one 13" Signature laying around from
my wife's old GTI (and my Rampage before that), but that might be too
small; I also let a 15 inch Signature "truck wheel" go with my Toyota
pick-up last year, if it cleared my legs it might have been perfect.

Larry Wright
"I can't get no-- Satis-traction"