RE: Toploader, use 24" ??? (maybe)

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: RE: Toploader, use 24" ??? (maybe)
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:54:20 -0400
Tom,
        For a while I tried a SROD toploader in my
Tiger.  It was about 1 1/2" shorter tail then the
Tiger Transmission.  There was no dip cast into
the tail piece so the Tiger shifter would not
fit.  The mounting pad was also in the wrong
place so I had to modify the rear mount.
        I moved my 351C back 1 1/2" so the
driveshift still fit.
        The Single Rail Overdrive (SROD) used the
high gear as "3rd" and the 3rd gear as "high".
The 3rd gear was much smaller dia. than in the
one in the Tiger II trans.  The 3rd/high lever
had to be inverted to work with a Hurst shifter.
The gear ratios sucked, the gap from 2nd-3rd
was way too wide.  You can simulate it on
your transmission by shifting from 2nd to high.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others