Re: Charge it

To: "Scott Minton" <sminton2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Charge it
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:49:02 -0400
I have the stock 30A generator and regulator, along with both an ammeter and
a voltmeter, so here's what I see happen.

Right after the car starts I see the system voltage go up well above the
battery voltage, and a heavy charging current is noted.  I'm not going to
quote any voltages, since I screwed up the accuracy of my voltmeter when I
tried to improve it (see my gauge article).  It's just noticeably above the
battery voltage.  As the battery charges, the current tapers off to quite
near zero, but the voltage stays up.  Finally after a period of near zero
charging current, the system voltage comes down a little bit, but is still
above the "battery only" voltage.  This is the steady state condition I see,
unless I'm idling with the headlights on, where you can clearly see the
generator fall behind the system needs.

I would assume that your alternator should behave in a similar manner,
except it should be capable of keeping up at idle.

Try reading the voltage right at the battery.  Try watching the headlight
brightness as you shut off the engine.  They should get a little dimmer when
the alternator quits.

I hope this helps you sort things out.

Stu