Re: Fuel sender and guage

To: laceyf@crosslink.net
Subject: Re: Fuel sender and guage
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:41:10 -0400
At 05:18 PM 8/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Troop, please help.
>     My fuel gauge reads 4-5 gallons with a full tank of gas. I thought it was
>the gauge so I purchased a new (NOS) one. That didn't help, it also read 4-5
>galloons when full and down to 2 gallons with 4 gallons +/-.  So I pulled the
>gas tank with the sending unit. I thought that the sending unit maybe stuck or
>hitting the side of the tank.  I checked it on an Ohm meter. Checks out like
>it is supposed to in the listing of the web sites. How could we live without
>all that data to refer too?  Anyway back to the problem, I hooked it up to the
>wires with a sure ground, outside the tank. The gauge never went over 4-5
>gallons. Ouch!! Is it possible that the sending unit that is working
>correctly, (as metered) and the wires/connecting to the front of the car are
>bad? Is the gauge 2 posts crossed, I thought it didn't matter? Which is the
>route for the wire up to the front of the car, to the little resister box,
>which I've replaced? One more bit of info which maybe helpful. My Tiger M1A
>doesn't get puking, and the temp. gauge usually don't get over 170 deg temp.
>even in a parade, hot summer parades with stop and go.  Could both be reading
>below accurate? Or just one, the fuel. I can live with the temp. as long as it
>don't puke, but the fuel gauge needs to be fixed. I plan on going to Luray in
>Va. in 2 weeks and I don't wish to take a travel can of gas. Ha! Ha!
>Thanks for any and all help in advance.        Mark F

Mark,
        The fuel and water gauge are both powered by the crude voltage
regulator under the dash.  I found that when this voltage regulator
module is ungrounded then the temperature gauge  and fuel gauge will read
way high.   Neither gauge is made to operate with a full 12-13 volts.
 Suggest you check the regulator.  I think it averages around 10 volts,
 however; I believe that it is a relay contact regulator so you may get
full voltage as pulses that should average to 10 volts.  Could be that
your voltage regulator is bad and outputting a lower voltage than needed.
 The water temp gauge max of 170 is a good clue to this.  You should be
over 210 when in a hot summer parade, if your Tiger is not modified
with a super cooling system.
        Other folks who "overheat" without puking may have a bad ground
on this same voltage regulator.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others