Messed up F4B

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Messed up F4B
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:51:24 -0500
Hey, all:

I've got a problem that I hope does not become the demise of the Edelbrock F4B
intake on my Tiger.  I currently have it removed from the car for some other
work.  While I had it off, I bead blasted it and washed it down to make it
look a little nicer.  I also wanted to replace the temp sender while I was at
it.  The problem is that, when I attempted to tighten the new sender unit, the
threads stripped in the intake with just the slightest amount of pressure
being applied.  The previous owner had installed a brass fitting with a longer
threaded neck into the intake and, of course, now I know why.  Further down
into that hole on the intake, out of the reach of the temp sender, the threads
are okay.

I have two questions.  First, is it possible to successfully helicoil the temp
sender hole in the intake, knowing that it will be under constant temp and
pressure loads while the engine is running?  Secondly, if I must end up using
that extra brass fitting, will the temp sender give an honest reading while
inside the other brass fitting that I described earlier?  As a side note, when
the temp sender is screwed down all the way into that brass fitting, the
bottom of the sender is flush with the bottom of the fitting.  I would think
both would be submerged in water, though.  I have been running it like that
for many years, oblivious to the fact that the previous owner had it set up
like that.

Thanks for any input that you guys may pass to me.  I'm hoping to get the car
put together in a couple of days and this could potentially slow me down for
who knows how long.

Thanks,
Andy Walker
B382001600