Electrical Gremlins

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Gremlins
From: Sencindiver Jim D NSSC <SencindiverJD@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:12:08 -0400
It seems like I get one thing fixed and something else breaks.  After
"exercising" my Tiger (and the lined fuel tanks) Friday afternoon, my wife
and I set off in the Tiger to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner.  When we
were ready to leave, I turned the key and NOTHING happened.  No starter, no
clicking, no fuel pump noise.  A passing good Samaritan provided jumper
cables and a boost, but still nothing.  We even tried to push start it, but
the engine would not fire.  Called AAA for a tow home.  Saturday, got out
the multi-meter and started troubleshooting.  Battery OK (took it to a
Garage for a load check), battery voltage at the C2 contact of the 6RA
relay, battery voltage at #1 terminal of the ignition switch.  With the
ignition switch in the "run" position, NO voltage at things that should have
it, like the coil, fuel pump, etc.  It would seem that this would indicate a
defective ignition switch.

Would some of you with more Tiger knowledge please review my logic and then
either confirm my diagnosis or offer alternative ones?

Thanks in advance.

Keep on Tigering!

Jim Sencindiver, PMS411C6
Systems Engineering Group