Re: Brake booster? CAUTION!!

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Subject: Re: Brake booster? CAUTION!!
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:24:14 -0400
At 02:34 PM 10/8/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>RE: Substitute brake boosters and by-pass couplings.
>
>The British boosters/servo's, both Girling and Lockheed (now owned by
>Girling), use "bubble flares", not "double flares", as US
>servo's/boosters. These are not compatible couplings.
>
>Tube flaring tooling can be bought for either. Sunbeam Specialties has
>new varied lengths of bubble flare tubing, Pep Boys has regular double flare.
>
>To go from a Girling MC to a double-flare Midland, you need a conversion
>coupling (unknown source) or a cut/remake a tube.
>
>CAT sells a very nice emergency stainless woven short coupling to
>by-pass a bad servo by connecting the input with the output (both male
>bubble flare tube fittings.
>
>Steve

        If you plan to double flare new or used brake lines, or convert
a British bubble flare to a US double flare then I recommend the
RIGID No. 345 tool.  I tried 3 other brands including very expensive
Snap-ON. The RIGID was the ONLY one that did not allow the tubing
to slip while doing the flares.  You need to go to industral tool
supply to get the RIGID tool. Cost in the range of $60 to $80.
Stay away from chrome plated flaring tools unless you are working
only with copper or aluminum tubing and not steel brake lines.

        I found adapters and splices for British bubble connectors
as well as various US double flare fittings under the brand name of EDELMANN
at my local good parts store.  The parts guy would just go rummage
through his assortment of EDELMANN to find what I needed. For example
a # 258350 and a # 25830? fitting adapt an aluminum 84 to 86 Mustang
master cylinder ( for power brake unit) to the smaller brake lines
of the Tiger.  The British bubble on the line at the cylinder end was
formed to a double flare for these fittings.

        I also got some splices for British bubble to British Bubble
as well, but do not have the receipt handy for the part number.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others