Re: Wheels

To: RGGAMMA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:59:58 -0400
At 09:49 PM 10/9/2001 EDT, you wrote:
>James, I find your comments interesting but somewhat incorrect in function.
>I have used mustang mag wheels on my Tiger racecar for many, many vintage
>races as well as hundreds of solo events.  There has never been an instance
>of 'slop' or loose wheels using high quality tapered lug nuts of 7/16.  If
>the wheels are installed with the correct torque and tightened in the proper
>sequence there should not be an issue. At least in my experience.....my 2
>cents.  On a Tiger used mostly on the street I see no problems.
>
>Cheers
>Gunny

        Gunny,
                Well some people are lucky.  Consider that the original
Tiger lug nuts have a sharper taper than the US aftermarket lug nuts.
The Mustang was designed for the US style lug nuts.  You did say "high
quality lug nuts", I assume that you mean US style lug nuts with the
proper taper for the Mustang wheels.  How about the person who assumes that
the original Tiger or Alpine nuts were OK to use on the Mustang wheels?
I believe that if there is a known consern for safty, one should do
what is possible (within reason of course) to avoid the possible problem.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others