Fastening the Glovebox

To: Randall Antosiak <randya@pacbell.net>
Subject: Fastening the Glovebox
From: twojohnsons@home.com
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:39:25 -0500
    I'd like to offer a few tips on attaching the glovebox to the dash. Since
the box conceals the wiper motor & cable, you might want to consider how you
might drop the glovebox to get at them if you need to. It's easy to make this
little modification when the dash is out---and almost impossible when the dash
is installed. A few minutes work w/the heavy cardboard glovebox before you
screw it to the rear of the dash is all it takes. And with Lucas electrics, the
wiper motor/cable is almost certain to need attention.
    I took a fresh exacto blade & cut a slot to the holes in the cardboard
materiel, cutting the slots in a 90 degree angle to the floor so I could just
loosen the screws & drop the box down w/out the hassle of fully removing the
screws and then struggling to reattach the top screws, which are concealed &
blind. You don't even have to do anything to the easy to reach & see bottom
screws. I also brushed a little carpenters glue on the slots & let it dry so's
the slots would be stiffened & not fuzzy cardboard in consistency. I put small
flat washers on the stock screw fasteners to increase the clamping
force--that's all there is to it.
Al Johnson