Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]

To: Barry Schultz <bschultz2@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:36:33 -0800
Barry Schultz wrote:

> I'm curious Steve, what is your opinion of the most efficient way to buy
> items on Ebay. I'm open to new and better ideas.
>
> Thank you,
> Barry

Barry,

I do have cable modem that clocks at 1.2 GBps, but it has to pass
through layers of routers to get to it's destination (look at an
expanded address header, sometime). It takes a couple of minutes to
receive my own message sent to the list. I am talking as fast as I can,
they just aren't listening very fast. (8-)

Because of the lack of fraud protection by the auctioneer, the money
transfer agency (if used), the lack of acceptability of a credit card,
and blind sellers, there is just too much fraud with no recourse for me
two be taken a third time.

Although "shilling" is disallowed, there is really no monitoring, so
prices can be phony. The worst that can happen is he puts it up for bid
again. This is very prevalent.

All in all, the best practice is to go to swap meets, see the person and
the article, and walk away with it in your hand, and your payment in
his, or vice versa. Even room to haggle, like a real bazaar.

Some Algers were sold as Tigers at REAL auctions, and the auctioneer has
withdrawn the item, when notified in advance, or forced a refund from
fiduciary responsibility. This has even occurred at Sotheby's Art
Auctions. There are frauds everywhere, and sometimes it isn't even one
of the buyers, sellers, or auctioneers.

If you like to play games for fun, do it with low value items that you
won't mind getting stuck on, or are not worth the effort for fraud.
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/