Re: Bidding on Ebay and King Dick wrenches

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Bidding on Ebay and King Dick wrenches
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 13:15:32 -0800
Tom Witt wrote:

> Jay,
>  Most people (at least in my case) are bidding on E-bay because they are
> looking for a DEAL. Thus, (at least in my case) it is not only getting the
> item, but at what price. Many times I will "refresh" almost constantly over
> the last few seconds and see the price trickle up with differnt bidders.
> They (we) are all trying to do the same thing. That is, be the winning
> bidder at the lowest price, before it is too late.
>  By setting a maximun bid and letting E-bay's computer bid you up more often
> than not will result in a higher price because the winning bidder will be
> the guy who was willing to spend the most (regardless) rather than the guy
> who got his bid in last  (and highest), but without driving the price up.
> As an example the King Dick wrench is at $60 a minute before the auction
> ends. There are three guys interested. At the final seconds one bids $65,
> the other $70 and the winner $75. Thus the winner saves $25 dollars (and
> potentially $45) over the senario you offered.

Tom,

I am not sure that scenario is accurate. Let's say you bid $100 when the
bidding was at $50. The auction has a minimum bid increase value, set by
the seller I believe, and in the bidding information.  If his minimum
increase is $5, then you would be listed as the highest bidder at $55.
No matter what the other bidders do, you will always be the high bidder
at $5 more than they just bid, no more. If the bidding reaches $100, the
next bidder (regardless of how high he bid over $5 more) would be then
listed as the highest bidder at $105, and you are out.

You could then decided just how much more you are willing to pay, or let
it go.

You will not be harmed by putting in your maximum value, as you will not
pay it unless the bidding gets to $95, and no more. Then you win.

You will get it at the lowest price, or loose it to someone willing to
pay more than you. Your $100 bid is NOT revealed during the auction.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/