Re: A Bumpy Ride

To: Packertl3@aol.com
Subject: Re: A Bumpy Ride
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:12:50 -0800
Packertl3@aol.com wrote:

> Steve
> If your problem is in the tires/wheels, wanted you to know that I've had
> excellent success with the Hunter GSP9700 system explained at the link below.
> For years I've told tire shop guys up front that I'm a fanatic about tire
> balance and run qualities - and wound up less than satisfied anyway. The 9700
> is the first machine or technique I've found that could reasonably duplicate
> new car ride with aftermarket tires. ...............................
>
> The website below has a locator to find one in your area. By the way, the
> first time I inquired my tire guy was nice enough to check already "balanced"
> wheels at no charge. We found significant improvements that I was happy to
> pay for. Good luck.
> Terry Packer
> 9470018
> "http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/product.htm";

Terry and everyone on the list:
Wow! What a great response to my inquiry. A whole bunch of great suggestions and
ideas. In addition to the "public" postings I got a few additional private notes
on the subject too.

On Terry's suggestion, I visited the Hunter web site above, found a local tire
shop that uses the GSP9700 and went to the shop yesterday. They balanced my worn
out Michelins with it but showed me that three of the Michelins were defective,
with too much "run out" (if you look at the tread edge while the tire is
spinning
on the machine, you can see the edge is nowhere near straight, "wobbling" from
side to side a good amount) making it impossible to get a "perfect" balance.
They
determined that my LAT70s are fine, and well within acceptable "roundness"
standards. Since I needed a couple new tires anyway, I ordered a new set of
Pirellis, which they got in and installed today. Driving home on the Michelins
last night, after they had been balanced with the GSP9700, the improvement in
ride was incredible. The bouncing, at high speeds was virtually gone, at least
up
to the 85 MPH I ran it up to (too much &**&^% traffic to have too much more
fun).
It was so much an improvement, I wondered if I really needed a new set of tires.
The shop manager, though, who personally balanced the Michelins said that the
new
Pirellis would balance even better, so I went ahead and had them installed
today.
Conclusion.....not as good as yesterday's Michelin balance job (but better than
before that) . I called the manager up and told him and said he had his shop
guys
did the job on the Pirellis today and that if I bring it back in on Saturday,
he'll personally re-do the job free of charge. He explained that the Hunter
machine is complicated and "you have to know how to use it". I wish he'd told me
that today and done it himself, but I'm taking it back on Saturday and will
report back to the list.  If the results are as good as the job he did on the
Michelins, I'll post the shop, and the manager's, name, for any local LATs (Los
Angeles Tigers)..

Thanks again, gang, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A