Re: front end rebuild

To: thorlp@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: front end rebuild
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:17:51 EST
Stan

I urge you to check the TigersUnited.com tech tips
about rebuilding the front end.

Also I have alerted the list that after having the
right fulcrum pin (a 4140 pin from Doug Jennings)
and having the car severely damaged, you should NEVER
use delron bushing with any type of pin.  I had
a Ph.D. metallurgist with 3600 failure analysis tell
me that no matter what the pin is made of,
Steel, 4140 hardened steel, titanium, etc, EVERY
PIN WILL FAIL when used with delron or other
sold bushing.  He reiterated EVERY PIN WILL FAIL.

My advice is to use original bushing or the new
bushings SS sells with poly instead of rubber.
Doug Jennings still makes the 4140 pins and
will make titanium if you have the $.  I bought
a new set of his 4140 pins for my car for when
I fix it.

Also John Logan of TE/AE wrote a great tech
tip on how to add a simple reinforcing device to
help prevent the excess stress from breaking
a pin.  I will certainly add this modification to
my car and suggest you do so also.

The problem is the Ackerman Angle.  You
might consider Tom Hall's rack and pin conversion
which cures some of this.  But I would still
use John Logan's reinforcement.

The STOA tech tip on TigersUnited is very good
and can be followed as a Bible.  I would use only
grade 8 or better bolts.  Caterpillar Tractor is the
best source for these bolts.  They are all US made
oil phosphate treated, and feature rolled to cut
threads.  Makes the Dorman bolts look cheap.

Whatever you do, don't scrimp.  Safety is paramount.

Dave Johnson, B382002668 (under repair) Aurora, IL