Re: front end rebuild

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "stan gorski" <thorlp@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: front end rebuild
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:22:54 -0800
Stan,
 Derek White in Zambia, Central Africa had fulcrim pins made up for a number
of us. They were made up from EN 24 Steel (whatever that is) and is metal
commonly used in Caterpiller equipment. They were available in two sizes,
stock and and an enlarged diameter. To use the larger diameter you need to
remove the inner steel bushing on the Sunbeam Specialties bushings. There
might be a need to ream the bushing also. I opted for the stock size because
I did not want the pin size to be dependent the potentially non-standard
size of the OD of the inner steel sleeve. In time that could change, but the
stock pin size won't. I think about 8 or so of us got these pins. Since most
received them only within the past week or so I have not heard any feedback
yet. They were the first run (in fact I got the "prototype" Derek originally
had made) as he later chose to go with the larger size. I don't know if
there will be a second run. That would probably be dependent upon the number
of people who would be interested and Derek's willingness to see it through
second time.
 I would highly recommend John Logan's reinforcement. It seems to be the
most logical way of dealing with the problem. Perhaps even more important
that than replacing the pins.
Keep the list posted on your decissions. I'm  half a step behind you and the
front-end is next (and soon) on my list. Tom Witt B9470101