Re: Intake Manifolds?

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifolds?
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 16:54:55 -0600
Anthony:

>From what I hear, the "Tiger" lettered intakes are just as hard to find as
their Cobra/Shelby counterparts.  I really couldn't tell you where to find
one; just keep your eyes peeled as they come up every now and then.  If you
are not already, become an avid checker of Ebay under the subject of
"Sunbeam Tiger."

As for the differences between a small-letter Cobra intake (which came stock
on 289 Cobras and '65 Shelbys) and a big-letter Cobra intake (which came
stock on later model small block Shelbys), they are easy to tell apart.  The
small-letter intake has the name "Cobra" cast into the #1 intake runner and,
if I remember correctly (it's been seven years since I sold my '65 Shelby),
the letters are in script rather than block form, with only the "C" in caps.
In contrast, the big-letter intake has the name "COBRA" cast in all capital
letters directly behind the thermostat housing.  Performance-wise, the two
intakes are identical.  However, the big-letter intake is the one that some
of the Mustang performance suppliers have reproduced.  Consequently, the
small-letter intake is much more rare and much more valuable.

I hope this helps you in your quest for an intake.  I'm sorry if my first
post sounded like I was scolding you for thinking about "wasting" an
original small-letter Cobra intake on a Tiger.  I just know from past
experience how sought after those intakes are by Cobra and early Shelby
owners who are trying to find an original piece.  No offense intended.

Happy New Year,
Andy Walker
B382001600