Re: New Virus Alert

To: twojohnsons@home.com, Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Virus Alert
From: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 17:57:55 -0500
>From the Symantec (Norton) site:

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages
regarding this hoax. It is
harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.

Type: Hoax

The following hoax email was first reported in Brazil, and the original
email was in Portuguese. Other
language versions are in circulation. Currently, the English language
versions are most common.

CAUTIONS:

This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in
the hoax, however,
Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me utility that is used to
restore long file names,
and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe
files.

 NOTE: The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to run Windows. It may be
necessary if you need to
restore long file names if the file names become corrupted. For
additional information, read the
Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description of Sulfnbk.exe and How to
Replace the Program
 File (Q301316)
The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named
Sulfnbk.exe.
The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located by default in the
C:\Windows\Command
folder.

NOTE: The C:\Windows\Command folder is the usual default location for
this file. It is possible
that if you have a custom installation, or a special configuration that
was installed by the
computer manufacturer, the file could be in a different location.

If the file is located in any other folder (except as noted), or arrives
as an attachment to a
email message, then it is possible that the file is infected. In this
case, if a scan with the
latest virus definitions and with NAV set to scan all files does not
detect the file as being
infected, quarantine and submit the file to SARC for analysis by
following the instructions in
the document How to submit a file to SARC using Scan and Deliver.

If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command
folder and want to
know how to restore the file, see the How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe
file section at the end
of this document.

Stu