rebuilding the 260, compression ratio

To: "Ronak, TP \(Timothy\)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: rebuilding the 260, compression ratio
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:50:29 -0500
Tim, the lower compression of the 351 heads is a challenge that I may try to
overcome, it is definatly not the goal. My reading up to this point
indicates I should have 8.7 to 1 with the stock heads & 8 to 1 with stock
351w heads. I also understand the heads can be milled at least 0.040". I
have yet to figure out what that would do for my compression ratio. I think
there is also room to deck the block 005-010". I would like to see
compression at 9 to 1. I got the heads off the 260 yesterday, its time for
some measurement to see if this is a workable plan.
    BTW, I got  lot of input that a 302 is the way to go, I'm sure that is
true, but I like the idea of using the original engine, & the idea is to get
a little HP in a reliable engine without spending a lot of money. OK, so I'm
cheap, but heck if I wanted a faster car with  a 5 speed that handeled
better I'd forget the whole thing & buy a Mustang ;-).
Doug Leithauser