Rear Hub removal

To: Tiger <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub removal
From: H B Elam <HBElam@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:48:32 -0500
Tom,
    I bought my 1st Tiger (B383002021) in 1979 from Ray
Motors in Newport R.I. They had been a Rootes dealership. In
1985 I returned for a Navy school with my present Tiger
(B382000471). At about 80K miles at the time I was worried
about axle bearing lubrication. The Ray's told me about a
special Rootes tool for removing the hub without extracting
the axle, allowing the bearing to be packed with grease. As,
I'm certain you remember, unlike many other vehicles,
differential oil does not lubricate these bearings. Anyway
they claimed to have extracted my hubs and lubricated the
bearings. Always dubious, I inspected the axle-hub interface
to find visual indication that this had been done, including
new cotter pins. Unfortunately I never saw this tool so am
unable to describe it. I'm told the Ray's are no longer
around. Have you ever seen/heard about any such tool?
Harry Elam
B382000471
Jaguar XJ-6
NASA Cobra #66