Re: RV Mirror Referb

To: CANISDOG@aol.com
Subject: Re: RV Mirror Referb
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:18:18 -0800
Can't answer ALL your question, as I didn't do it all.

HOWEVER, my outer plastic pebble grained trim was warped, the mirror was
discolored and unsilvered in spots. Found a little shop in an auto
mini-industrial shop mall that specialized in antique and custom mirrors.

He was able to easily remove the damaged trim ring, but it was too far
gone for repair. Wish I could find one. He removed the mirror from the
backing easily enough. It was fairly loose, but he used a medium to low
heat setting on a pistol type women's hair drier and the tar softened.
The mirror came out.

He had it revered like new, and re-attached it with new mirror tar/adhesive.

He had a small roll of pebble grain sticky-back tape, and finished the
edge with a wrap. Looks close enough, but would buy a real excellent
condition one if I could find it.

On the metal parts, my chrome plater was able to re-chrome trunk hinges
and hard top quarter window lever assemblies without disassembly. The
covered areas were not as well done as if they had been separated, but
refastening them would have been a large challenge. Came out well.

So, you can have your entire metal rechromed (glass removed) and black
wrinkle finish the now chromed mirror shell. Need to roughen the new
chrome, and prime it first. If you asked in advance, I believe he could
coat, or mask it so it never get's chromed to begin with.

Make sure you get a "Show Chrome" triple plate shop.
--
Steve Laifman