Re: RV Mirror Referb

To: CANISDOG@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RV Mirror Referb
From: Rob Guerra <tiger351w@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:32:11 -0800
You can't get the stem from the mirror out without removing the glass ...
which is replaceable and you can get it from rick.  He just needs to know
if it is an early or late mirror.

2. drill out the rivets that hold in the retaining clip -  it's very
evident once you remove the glass

3. re chrome the stem

4.  If you choose to redo the black vinyl I caution you here.  you need to
find a very thin piece of vinyl material.  Rick sells the stuff for the
dash roll, but this is really too thick to do the job right.  i tried
several times before I got the correct stuff.

5 once you have removed the old vinyl, clean the old glue off the mirror
and repaint as necessary.

6. to reapply the vinyl: you will need some 3M contact cement and a heat
gun.  Hair dryers don't produce enough heat.  Cut a piece of vinyl much
larger than the outline of the mirror (by at least 3/4"). apply the contact
cement to both the mirror and the vinyl.

7. once the cement has become sufficiently tacky, apply the vinyl to the
middle of the mirror and with the heat gun heat up the vinyl and work it
out towards the edges.  Note: when the vinyl is sufficiently warm it is
very plyable.  Keep heating and working with it until you work out all the
wrinkles.  When you get to the ridge on the edge, you can use a screw
driver or small piece of wood to press the vinyl into the correct grove.

8. Once the vinyl cools... trim with a very sharp exacto knife.

9. install the stem with new pop rivets

10. do the same for the inner vinyl (under the mirror) and reattach the
mirror.

11.  If you screw up the first time, try again by the third try you'll be
an expert.