Re: Rotten to the CORE

To: Radialman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rotten to the CORE
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:13:02 -0500
At 04:35 PM 1/29/2002 EST, you wrote:
>anyone know of a working heater core ...I could buy?
>
>jeff

Jeff the same core is used in Alpines and MGB's.
They all fail by first swelling up the 4" square end caps
when used with more than about a 7 pound radiator cap.
There is a center brass strip inside the ridge of the
end cap that was orginally sweat soldered.  Most radiator
repair guys, do not properly sweat solder the end caps on
after a leak repair.  The cap quickly swells again ( when
using 13, 15 or 17 pound radiator caps.  Consider that the
core was designed long before Tigers for MG's etc with a 7
pound cap.  This would be 4X4X7=112 pounds total on an end cap.
With a 15 pound cap you are at 4X4X15=250 pounds, or over
twice what the core was designed for.
        I measured an end cap as only 22/1000" thick and some
of that thickness might be lead.  Try replacing the end caps
with thicker brass and that might help.  All the leaks I have
seen were around the end cap joint.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others