Windshield Washer Hose Replacement

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield Washer Hose Replacement
From: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:26:36 -0500
Today I used another technique to thread a new washer hose through the
firewall.  For those of you who haven't tried this at home yet, it's not
a simple as it sounds.  The hose goes through the inaccessable (without
a torch) boxed in section of the firewall next to the heater core, and
the hole into the engine compartment does not align with the hole into
the under dash area.

I've had some steel wire kicking around the shop for ages, and I
suddenly had this great idea.  I cut off about a yard of it, grabbed my
new hose, and headed for the garage.

I pushed the wire as far into the old hose as I could, which was about
to the inner hole, then pushed the new hose over the remaining wire
until it met the old.  With my son pushing on the outside, and me
pulling under the dash, the new hose followed the old right to the inner
hole.  The new hose I'm using has a larger outer diameter, almost
matching the diameter of the firewall holes, so it took a minute or two
of wiggling to get it through.  This was also the reason I couldn't use
tape to join the two hoses, as has been suggested elsewhere.

This project is part a windshield washer system modernization that will
appear as an article in the TE/AE newsletter when complete.  And it just
may show up on the Tigers United site, too.

Stu Brennan