Rebuilding the 260, compression

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding the 260, compression
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:00:06 -0500
Yes, I am still stubbornly proceeding with rebuilding my original 260,
instead of stuffing in a 302.  I don't wish to suffer the stigma of driving
a "Mustger" or "Tigang"and trying to pass it off as an authentic Tiger ;-)
    I have an interesting finding on the compression ratio. The factory
claim is that the stock compresion is 8.7 to 1 with 54.5cc combustion
chambers. As best as I can calculate, allowing for pistom clearance below
the block deck (0.015"), head gasket compressed thickness (0.040") and the
chamber size (54.5cc, at this time I have not been able to measure the
chambers, but this is the advertised size) the stock engine has an actual
compression ratio of only 8.17 to 1.
On my completed engine, with a 0.020" overbore & 0.020" milled from the
heads & calculate I will end up with 8.56 to 1, still half a point below
what I was after, but significantly increased from what I started with.

Happy Motoring
Doug Leithauser