Re: Do overbored 260's really overheat? Seeking verified

To: rpalmer@ucsd.edu, SFordRB@aol.com, dleit@worldnet.att.net,
Subject: Re: Do overbored 260's really overheat? Seeking verified
From: SFordRB@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:39:40 EST
I've just spent two hours looking for the reference, but I can't find any of
my engine reference books (between wife putting stuff away and teenage son,
not being able to find stuff is a common occurrence). I will find the
reference and let you know.

Now on the face of it let's examine some facts. The small block Ford motor
(221,260, 289, 302, 351) is different from the old "Y" blocks. One primary
difference was the utilization of "thin wall casting techniques." Being that
the outside dimensions of the 289 and the 260 are the same and as stated that
the cylinder walls were of equal thickness, where did the extra space come
from? Did they reduce internal water jacket volume? Or did they reduce
cylinder wall thickness in the 289? If they reduced internal water jacket
volume, does that mean the 289 is more prone to over heating?

Here would be one interesting thing to look at, does the MKII have a bigger
coolant capacity? It should if the 289 has thinner cylinder wall thickness or
the water jacket volume has been reduced, right? I'll dammmmmm certain get
the reference for you, but I may have to dismantle my house first.

Sean