RE: Doane's overbored 260's

To: "'Ray Johnson'" <rnrbj@hotmail.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Doane's overbored 260's
From: "Palmer, Robert L." <RPalmer@brobeck.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:22:01 -0800
Ray,

Is it Doane Spencer's status you are referring to? If so, then had Shelby
American continued to campaign the Tiger, who knows what other course Doane
might have taken. I certainly have no special insight in that regard. It is
entirely possible that Doane would have taken advantage of another
opportunity that led to fame and glory, rather than being associated with
the ignominious fate of the Tiger in SCCA racing. I think Tom's point was
that, no matter how large Doane looms in our minds, in terms of the bigger
racing history picture, Doane is more akin to a "well kept secret" than a
racing "icon". Also, I wouldn't characterize the parting of the ways between
Ian Garrad and Shelby American as Shelby "not being allowed to continue
development". I think it is clear that Lew Spencer in particular and Shelby
American in general held the Tiger in low regard and were, I suspect, more
than happy to terminate the contract. I think we can easily imagine how the
negotiations for the 1965 contract might have gone, with Ian demanding
better results and Carroll saying fine, but it's going to cost you a whole
lot more than it did last year to make that happen.  What we might also
speculate on is what would have happened if Ian had given the Tiger racing
program to Doane in the first place, to say nothing of supporting him with
anything like the budget that Ford was giving Shelby to campaign the Shelby
Mustangs, for example.