Brake master cylinder questions

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake master cylinder questions
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:36:36 -0600
Hi, all:

A friend of mine has run up against a couple of problems while trying to put a
new brake master cylinder on his Tiger Mk1.  He doesn't have a computer and so
I volunteered to put his questions on the list in hopes that we might get some
assistance.

First of all, his car is a very late Mk1.  He has purchased a new brake master
cylinder from Rick at Sunbeam Specialties and, naturally, it came without the
reservoir attached.  When he attempted to install his old reservoir onto the
new cylinder, he discovered that there was a metal "rib" cast into the master
cylinder, which he says keeps the reservoir from being mounted in the correct
position.  Has anybody had this problem and, if so, how did you rectify it?

Another problem appears to be in the thickness of the dust cover that goes
over the back end of the brake master.  He says that the new dustcover is way
too thick to get the original spacer ring (between the back of the master
cylinder and the firewall) to slide over it.  He says it's even too large to
fit properly through the hole in the firewall.  Has anyone had experience with
that?

It's been so long since I've done any brake work to my Tiger that I find
myself of little help to him.  Any replies would be helpful and most
appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Walker
B382001600