351 W head application

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 351 W head application
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:35:06 -0800
 I have been "scoping" out the Tiger-Ford related sites (T.U., D. Williams
site etc.) for info on adapting the 351W heads to a 289. Though I have found
a bunch of information it has more presented things to ponder than
completely answered all my questions.
As always I am on a limited budget. Thus, any of the $$$ aftermarket heads
that you might have praise for would be out of the question. My main goal is
to find slightly better breathing heads (over stock 289) with hardened valve
seats, I'm talking $15-$20 a piece Pick A Part heads here.
My Questions:

1. I am aware of the head bolt and water passage issues. I am also aware of
the combustion chamber size-compression ratio issue also. But, I figure with
todays gas on a street motor is it really an issue? I would think that even
with the lowest compression heads it would allow for more advance in the
ignition and that might help.

2. Does anyone know what year (spacific) Ford started using hardened seats?
Late 70's early 80's?

3. There seems to be a 351K (from the 80's-90's) head and from what I gather
it is similar to the 351W. Is this a suitable head? How does this head
differ from the 351W?

4. It also seems that there were extra intake manifold bolts on certain 351
heads. I am really confused about this. Can anyone enlighten me on what
years that was. By that I mean 19XX heads must used a 351W manifold and 19XX
heads can use a 289-302 manifold. Also regarding the manifold is there any
milling needed to make either combination work?

Thanks to any of you Ford SB experts out there. I am often found roaming
around self service wrecking yards and you never know what I might stumble
upon. Regards, Tom Witt B9470101