Re: More Fire Extinguisher Queries

To: SFordRB@aol.com
Subject: Re: More Fire Extinguisher Queries
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:00:27 +1000
Doc

The importance of the ozone layer, and its destruction by halogens is has been
pretty well documented.  Ozone protects us and other life forms like plants -
without which we could not live - from UV rays.  While we may have lost a good
fire suppression system we get to be able to live on our planet and keep some of
our ecosystems.

The issue to me is to know which political battles to fight.  There are some
damn
good economic and environmental reasons to NOT scrap all old cars - we have to
put them to our political representatives, plus we should know our opponents.
Scrapping old cars is often promoted by new vehicle manufacturers, particularly
during hard economic times - no prizes for guessing why!  They promote thes
'buyback' schemes where taxpayer dollars are used to fund their profits.

My 300 pacific pesos worth

Vic, in the southern hemisphere, with the biggest ozone hole!