RE: Cooling system idea

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cooling system idea
From: bmelusky@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:13:57 -0400
John Clark <clarkjc@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>Have anyone ever considered using Peltier junction devices to help keep
>coolant temperature down?

You won't see a net gain due to efficiency losses.  Draw more current and the
engine works harder to turn the alt/generator which will kick out more heat.
Perpetual motion comes to mind.

A better investment would be to optimize what you have. I put an aluminum core
radiator and pusher fan in my car and it turned out to be overkill for a mild
260. At least my thermosat actually serves a function: it keeps the engine temp
at 180! I used to struggle to get it below 210 and kept a towel in the car to
put over my leg when I had to run the heater to dump heat. You can get a second
degree burn on your throttle leg if the water temp is 220 and the heater is on
max. I dreaded getting stuck in beach traffic on a Sunday afternoon. Now I
could drive a Bastille Day parade in New Orleans without trepidation.

Melusky

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/