Air Dam

To: "'kathy.coiner@gte.net'" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Air Dam
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:32:26 -0400
Eric,
You said:
"I tracked it back under the car and found that it was coming between the
bottom of the radiator and the top of the cross member.  I took a chunk of
foam pipe insulation AKA "roll bar padding" and stuffed it between the
radiator and the cross member. The forward flow stopped dead.  I don't get
the down force or the added flow thru the radiator due to the low pressure
behind the air dam but my part only took 5 minutes to make."

Exactly right but at speed the entire shape of the lower Crossmember and the
rack bellows acts as a large air "scoop" and exacerbates the airflow
dynamics present in the confined engine bay. Blocking the passage between
the x member and the lower rad support is only part of the solution. You
need to create a lower sharp edge to sheer the air so it will create a sort
of vacuum under the rad and "suck" air through the radiator and down under
the car. I really like Larry's version but for me it is a little low as I
will "drive" my car and I wanted a more subdued appearance. I really wanted
Invisible and I almost achieved that. Look at any late model Mustang or
Camero for where the inspiration came from. I will have real world results
this weekend for those interested how it works at 90 MPH. Exhaust will be
done Saturday AM.

I have pics of mine if you are interested both painted Black and bare
aluminum so you can see it. Just send me a note.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings