RE: Bellhousing help clarification

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Bellhousing help clarification
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:17:05 -0400
Listers,
I was in a hurry with the last post. The point about the Cast Iron
Bellhousing is that the bolts that attach the housing to the block go
through "bosses" that are thicker to provide seating strength. The ones on
the drivers side are not only thicker "taller" that the aluminum housing and
therefore require longer bolts, They are also of differing heights. On my
Aluminum housing the surfaces of the bosses were not flat so  I had the
taller one machined down to the height of the shorter one after it was
"faced" to make it flat to facilitate mounting of the Clutch slave bracket
and avoid the use of shims "washers" on one end to ensure that the slave
bolted up parallel. This in fact moved the slave bracket about 3/8 ths of an
inch further forward. It was sufficient to clear the tunnel.
On the cast housing I neglected to do this as I was ready to assemble and I
decided that I would just use washers as the cast housing the tops of the
bosses were very flat already and provided a good seat for the clutch slave
bracket.

The problem was that it positioned the slave bracket about 1 / 2 inch
further back and slightly interfered with the tunnel. I just pried the
tunnel very slightly and there was plenty of clearance.

Best Regards,

Tim Ronak
Business Development Manager
Akzo Nobel Coatings