Front Spindle - Bent, Rack - broke

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Spindle - Bent, Rack - broke
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:42:27 -0700
Well, as many on the list know I've been slowly going through a very thrashed
Tiger for the past 2 1/2 years. A recent advance was to pull the front
crossmember which quickly became a one step forward, two steps backward
matter.
 I would suspect from evidence that a lower fulcrim pin (drivers side) broke
or came loose I'm guessing (???) 20 plus years ago. All this was burried under
years of grease, dirt, and rust.
 I have :
1. A bent spindle (seems near the upper ball joint mount). This would explain
the significant number of shims that were used to correct the camber.
2. A broken rack arm (drivers side again) that was repaired by welding on an
Alpine tie rod end and a portion of the adjustment treads!!!
3. A slightly bent lower fulcrim pin. This would explain why someone torched a
hole in the crossmember for what I guess was an attempt to remove a broken
bolt.

The fulcrim pin matter is taken care of as I have new replacements. The hole
can be welded over in the crossmember readily.

The rack I plan on cutting off the Alpine weld repair and thread the remainder
of the arm. I will then use an interal threaded hex piece and an external
treaded rod. Does anyone know of a source where these treaded pieces
(especially available with reverse threads on one end) can be found? Hot
rodders would seem to use things like this - I would think. How about the
reverse thread die?

Which leads me finally to the spindle. Can it be straightened (It does not
appear to be cracked)? Could I do this with my press (20 ton) and torch ( or
does it need to be specially heat treated after straighting)?
 If I need to replace it is the Alpine spindle the same as the Tiger? And
finally should it have to be replaced about what will it cost me?
Thanks for any input you can give me. Tom Witt B9470101