Re: Front Spindle - Bent, Rack - broke

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Spindle - Bent, Rack - broke
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:13:34 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 10:42 PM
Subject: Front Spindle - Bent, Rack - broke

> The rack I plan on cutting off the Alpine weld repair and thread the
remainder
> of the arm. I will then use an interal threaded hex piece and an external
> treaded rod. Does anyone know of a source where these treaded pieces
> (especially available with reverse threads on one end) can be found?

Hot
> rodders would seem to use things like this - I would think. How about the
> reverse thread die?

Use www.mscdirect.com  They have every imaginable cutting tool ready for
immmediate shipment.  Call in the morning and the UPS will be at your door
the next afternoon.
Erich

> Which leads me finally to the spindle. Can it be straightened (It does not
> appear to be cracked)? Could I do this with my press (20 ton) and torch
( or
> does it need to be specially heat treated after straighting)?
>  If I need to replace it is the Alpine spindle the same as the Tiger? And
> finally should it have to be replaced about what will it cost me?
> Thanks for any input you can give me. Tom Witt B9470101

I'm not sure I would want to drive on that part after stressing it back
straight.

At a minimum, take it down to the machine shop for magnafluxing after you
straighten it.