Re: Pinion Seal

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Chris Mottram" <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pinion Seal
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:18:25 -0700
Chris,

 Yes, the tolerances are set by shims on the inner pinion bearing, so
replacing the seal itself will not alter that. Where you do need to take
care is in pulling, but more importantly in reinstalling the flange. Any
attempt to hammer it back on will force the pinion into the ring gear.
Hopefully the flange will slide back on far enough for you to be able to set
it just by tightening the nut. Even then it wouldn't hurt to have someone
hold the flange back while you are tightening it to keep the inner pinion
bearing seated. It would be helpful to index (mark) the splines in the
flange and the pinion shaft. Likely it will go on with less trouble if it is
in the same place it came off.
   Finally I would recommend that you index (mark) the driveshaft and the
flange so they go back where they came from too. This is just a precaution,
but if you end up with a vibration at least you will know that the
driveshaft is where it was before.
 Lastly (as opposed to finally) after the driveshaft it off, but before you
remove the flange wiggle it around (north-south, east-west) and be sure that
there is no looseness to the bearings. This is not the free play you will
feel by just rotating the flange. That is the clearance between the ring and
pinion.
  My seal appeared bad and leaking. Furture investigation found water in the
case, all bearings shot (as well the gears) and the carrier bearing hadspun
leaving .010 free play on what is a press fit. Basically I had to replace
everything. Hopefully for you it is just the seal.
Regards, Tom Witt B9470101