parts from Blighty

Subject: parts from Blighty
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:10:28 -0600
Hey Stu,

I bought parts for me Morgan straight from Blighty for many years without
undue diffugalty. Customs duties can be by sender or receiver, usually
prepaid and added by the sender.

Real problem is, what do you for a return? If something is not right you get
stuck with that awful shipping charge again. And if you get a really crappy
supplier over there, you got a real problem...

I stopped buying parts from over there a couple of years back when I wanted
2 new SU carbs. I found them direct from the manufacturer (now Burlen) and
then dickered with them for a couple of months... they were very nice, very
helpful but horribly inefficient.

Then one of my Goombahs over here became a Moss distributer and was able to
get the British spec carbs in my hands immediately for about $100 less than
the price direct from Burlen... Go figger...

I will also say, though, that my daughter, Dana, (now living in Stafford,
England) has located a Rootes exclusive "breaker's yard" which she has
promised to explore soon after her wedding (this friday). If it is really a
pick-a-part I plan to have her get a decent hood latch mechanism for her
'Beamish Boy. (Her new hubby will not be much use in a breaker's yard. He is
a very willing bloke but is not very car oriented. Over 30 years old and no
driver's license!)

I am puzzled by all the list traffic about the color of air cleaners... Any
hot rod guy can tell you that if it ain't billet, the color of the air
cleaner is CHROME!

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe 350/350, '66 Morgan Plus Four, '89 Alfa Romeo Spider
(FOR SALE), '67 Sunbeam Alpine (babysitting)