Re: ballast resistor, weak spark, etc

To: joe brackin <joebrackin@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: ballast resistor, weak spark, etc
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:13:06 -0700
Joe,

The Pertronix 1 requires the use of a "points-type" coil to reduce the
current it must switch. Those  coils have external resistors because
they operate at 9 volts to prevent overheating. (Yes the resistor gets
hot and increase in resistance, itself).

The Pertronix II has a much larger current switching capacity, and can
use super hot ignition coils. Pertronix makes one at 45,000 volts. Some
4-5 times more than stock.  This coil does NOT have a resistor.

If you are using the Pertronix coil to match the version of Pertronix
you have, it should have come with it's own resistor. My Accel did. This
is because it is the current that must be limited, and each coil
manufacturer can have different coil resistance (and current) and
require different ballast resistors.

You should be using matched sets.

NO, you cannot remove the resistor with a Pertronix I as it will
probably burn out the Pertronix.

Steve
--

Steve Laifman