Darrell and the LeMans Tiger

To: Tiger News Group <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Darrell and the LeMans Tiger
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 07:57:48 -0400
I read the initial postings about the race results, with the adverse
comments. Knowing what little I know of the Tiger clan, I was surprised.

There are lot's of reasons why Darrell didn't choose to go all out, if
indeed he made that choice:

A.    Wife and family admonished him to come home in no more than one
piece.

B.    Friends admonished him to come back in one piece.

C.     Tiger friends admonished him, "do what you want to yourself, but
we don't want the car coming back in more than one piece".

D.    Goodwood and LeMans weren't grudge matches. Original 1964 race
preparations were notoriously uncompetitive.  I don't think
        Darrell went to either race site with the intent to show Carroll
Shelby or Rootes how it's supposed to be done. He went there to
        have fun.

E.     Darrell made a mental pact with himself, "try not to do something
stupid out there". I think he succeeded.

Hats off to Darrell , Dick, Tony, Dave McDermott and the other
custodians of Tiger /  Alpine history. We as a group are incredibly
lucky to have these folks and their cars still here.