Cursed Alternators or Victim of Coincidence?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Cursed Alternators or Victim of Coincidence?
From: flynnr2@btopenworld.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:08:02 +0100 (BST)
4 months and a few hundred miles ago, my alternator packed it in.  More
specifically, the built-in regulator had broken itself free, creating all sorts
of havoc inside the alternator.  So I installed a new/rebuilt one.

Eveything was fine for a couple of months and a few hundred miles, but last
night, the alternator died again (on the side of M4 outside London in the
rain.)  I haven't had a chance to look into it, but the RAC mechanic said the
alternator wasn't generating any juice at all.  (Used one of his battery packs
to limp it back to a friends place.)

Admittedly not too much to go on, but any thoughts on this?  Just coincidence
or might there be something more sinister?  Assuming the regulator hasn't
broken itself free again, is there anything in the Tiger electrics that could
fry the regulator?

thanks in advance,

rick
B9471206 : http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp