Re: Surfire way to tell a 289 HP block

To: bmelusky@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Surfire way to tell a 289 HP block
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:53:23 -0700
  Bruce,

Thanks for the details. As you can probably deduce from my description,
I was indeed describing the Rockwell "C" scale testing I am familiar
with for our high strength steel.  Anything less than 120,000 psi is
"pot metal" in the Rocket Biz.  You are much more on the ball about the
cast parts.  We also have a test for soft plastics, similar with a much
larger ball, and a depth measure for a preset load under load, as the
dent goes away when the pressure is removed.  I think is was a "shore
hardness" test.

Thanks for the reminder that this isn't a rocket we drive, although we
like to think so. :-) , but stuff we relegate to "ground support
equipment and tractors." ;-)

I take it, other than the testing details, you agree with the processing
of HiPo cranks selection.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman